San Joaquin Delta College ADN Nursing Admissions Information and Stats

San Joaquin Delta College is a California community college located in the Stockton, CA part of the San Joaquin Valley, has an associate degree in nursing (ADN). As with other California community colleges, they have made significant changes to their admissions by ranking students via multi-criteria screening. 90% of students are admitted by rank. The remaining 10% of the seats in the nursing school are allocated via lottery to students who have met the minimum requirements. Students are accepted twice per year during fall and spring semesters.

The ADN program at San Joaquin Delta College takes two years (four semesters) to complete. There are no nursing classes during the summer. Graduates of this program are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam to become a registered nurse.

Prerequisite Courses for San Joaquin Delta College ADN Nursing Program

The following courses are required prior to applying to the San Joaquin Delta College associate in nursing program:

  • Human Anatomy with lab
  • Human Physiology with lab
  • Microbiology with lab
  • Written Communications 1, Written Communications 2, or Critical Composition
  • Nutrition
  • Intermediate Algebra proficiency or higher (not used in calculation of the science score)

Students are highly recommended to take Statistics to fulfill the San Joaquin Delta College math requirement since many BSN programs including CSU Stanislaus require this course as a prerequisite.

The science GPA (A&P and microbiology) must be 2.5 or better to enroll.  There is a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the Nutrition and English courses as well.  Meeting the minimum GPA requirements may not be sufficient to gain admissions, especially via rank choice.

Students are also required to take the TEAS exam. The score on the TEAS exam is worth 30% of the points available so student should study for the TEAS before taking it.

Points System Used at San Joaquin Delta College ADN Program

  • 5 points for a BA/BS degree or 2.5 points for an AA/AS degree. Degree must be posted to the transcript at the time it is submitted (in progress will not work).
  • 5 points for work experience as a LVN, psychiatric technician, radiologic technician, respiratory therapist, or paramedic, 3 points for a CNA, HHA, EMT with more than 1000 experience,  or 2 points for less than 1000 hours experience as CNA, HHA, EMT, or 1 point with 200 hours as a volunteer with direct patient care.
  • Between 10 and 40 points for GPA in prerequisite courses (anatomy, physiology, and microbiology).  GPA below 2.5 = disqualified. 1 point is given for every 0.05 GPA above 2.5 with a minimum of 10 points given.  10 points for 2.5 GPA, 20 points for 3.0 GPA, 30 points for 3.5 GPA.
  • Between 4 points and 10 points for the highest grade in Written Composition and Nutrition. 2.5 GPA = 4 points. Each 0.25 GPA = is an additional point. Disqualified if this GPA is less than 2.5.
  • Points are deducted for excessive repeats of science courses (Grade of D, F, W, or I). 2 repeats =  minus 5 points. 3 repeats = minus 7.5 points, 4 or more repeats = minus 10 points. One semester with the most repeats in science prerequisites will be ignored.
  • Another 2.5 points can be given for life experiences or special circumstances such as disabilities, low income, first generation in college, employment, veteran status, etc.
  • 2.5 points are give for proficiency or coursework in a foreign language (4 years of high school foreign language or 4 semesters of college foreign language.)
  • TEAS score: 96-100 = maximum 30 points. Deduct one point from 30  for each TEAS score below 96 (95 = 29 points, 70=4 points, 66 or less = disqualified)

Maximum number of points possible is 100.

Admissions Stats for San Joaquin Delta College ADN Nursing Program

San Joaquin Delta College usually accepts between 60 and 70 students for Fall 2011 although that number depends on the budget situation. 90% will be filled by rank order (highest points). 10% will be filled randomly via lottery. For Spring 2010, the lowest accepted score was 64.5 points.

For the class entering in Spring 2011, there were well over 300 applications.

Comments

comments