Cypress College Registered Nursing Program

Cypress College is located in the northern part of Orange county, which is part of Southern California. The college has a registered nursing program where their associate degree graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-RN exam in order to become a registered nurse.  Graduates will also be eligible for RN-BSN programs to continue their nursing education and to improve their job and career prospects.  Cypress College admits students during fall and spring semester with at least 40 applicants admitted each semester.

Clinical practice will be throughout Orange County and Los Angeles county. Students need to be prepared to travel longer distances at both day and evening shifts during the program.

Cypress College RN Nursing Program Prerequisites

There are four prerequisite courses required with a grade of “C” or better in order to apply. They are:

  • Anatomy
  • Physiology
  • Medical Microbiology
  • College Writing

A&P and microbiology must be taken within the past five years prior to application.

Additional courses are given extra points in the application for the following courses:

  • General Psychology
  • Intermediate algebra or higher or equivalent math proficiency exam score
  • English composition (GE certification or bachelor’s degree also OK)
  • Human Communications
  • Introduction to Sociology
  • Humanities GE class
  • Art GE class

A minimum of 40 applicants will be selected each semester. 75% will be selected from the rank order list while the remaining 25% will be from the chronological wait list.

Point System for RN Program at Cypress

There are a maximum total of 30 points.

15 points depend on the grade for anatomy, physiology, and microbiology. 5 points for each “A.” 3 points for each “B.” 1 point for each “C.”

10 points are awarded for completion of certain courses. Two points are award for math (intermediate algebra class or proficiency) and general psychology. One point is for English composition, reading proficiency (or BA degree), human communications, intro to sociology, humanities GE course, and art GE course.

  • 1 point is awarded for a degree, diploma, or certificate related to healthcare
  • 1 point is warded for proficiency or 2 years of college coursework in American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, and languages used in India or Southeast Asia.
  • 1 point is awarded for healthcare work or volunteer experience of 200 hours or more.
  • 1 point is award for life experiences or special circumstances (eg. disability, low income, first generation, employment while taking prerequisites, veteran status, refugee status, EOPS)
  • 1 point is awarded for student success coursework (eg. cultural understanding, introduction to nursing, career planning, review courses other than GE requirements, study skills, etc.)

There are many students that try to apply to the nursing program with all 30 points.

TEAS Requirement at Cypress College Nursing Program

The TEAS exam is not used for admissions selection purposes. But getting a passing score is a condition of accepting admissions. You will not be allowed to enter the nursing program without a passing score, which is 67% overall. If you are planning to apply to other nursing schools, you will probably need to score much higher than that.

Use the official ATI TEAS Study guide to brush up on anything you may have forgotten. In particular, the TEAS V test has a harder science section. Most students’ weakest sections are science and math.

Tuition and Fees for Cypress College RN Program

An expenditure of $3,000 should be expected for each nursing student over the course of the two year program. Many extra supplies will be needed such as nursing textbooks, notebook, paper, etc.

Admissions Stats for Cypress College RN Nursing Program

The cutoff score for acceptances was 30 during the Fall 2010 application cycle. There are just as many alternates as admits (40-50 students in each group). Many of the alternates end up being accepted.

Comments

comments