Cal State Fullerton (CSUF) is located in Orange County of Southern California. CSUF offers two nursing programs for those who don’t already have a RN license. There is a entry level bachelor of science in nursing (EL-BSN) as well as an entry-level master of science in nursing (EL-MSN). This article will concentrate on the former. Students who already hold a bachelor’s degree will need to apply to the graduate program. CSU Fullerton does not accept students going for a second bachelor’s degree.
The nursing program at CSUF is impacted. That means students need to apply both to the university as well as the CSUF school of nursing and gain admissions to both. Gaining admission to CSUF in pre-nursing does not guarantee admission to the nursing program. For the 2010-2011 academic year, upper division transfers to pre-nursing are no longer considered.
Gaining admission to the university may be more difficult for those who who are not considered local applicants. Local applicants come from community colleges in Orange County (for transfer students) or high schools in Orange County (for freshmen). There are a few school districts in Los Angeles County (eg. Whittier, Walnut, Chino Valley, Corona) that qualify as local for high school students.
Prerequisite Courses Required for CSU Fullerton EL-BSN Program
Golden Four Courses:
- Beginning College Writing (usually a course such as English Composition)
- College Level Math (College algebra or higher)
- Critical Thinking
Science Prerequisite Courses
- 1 semester microbiology with lab
- 1 semester anatomy with lab
- 1 semester physiology with lab
- 1 semester chemistry with lab (inorganic, organic, and biochemistry) OR 1 semester of general chemistry as well as 1 semester in organic chemistry and biochemistry.
The eight courses need to be completed with a grade of C or better. All courses need to be completed by the spring prior to admission to the EL-BSN nursing program.
TEAS Requirement for CSU Fullerton Nursing
All students need to take the ATI TEAS exam. The minimum overall composite TEAS score required is 78%.
Point Scale for CSU Fullerton EL-BSN Nursing Admissions
- GPA for eight prerequisite courses (20 points where 3.05 = 1 point, 3.50 = 10 points)
- GPA for last 60 units (20 points, same GPA scale as above)
- TEAS score (15 points where 78%=1 point, 87.9 = 8 points)
- Health related volunteer or work experience with direct patient care (10 points, maximum of 5 points for volunteer experience)
Maximum number of points possible is 70 points.
As of 2010-2011 academic year, the 35 students with the most points are offered admissions. Those with fewer points will be on a list of alternates in case there are additional spaces available.